I bought my first house in Spring 2006, and it had a lovely green lawn. It HAD a lovely green lawn. And while it's true that I did indeed kill the freshly laid sod in the backyard and a fat portion of the front lawn, I think it should be noted that the previous owners didn't feel the need to pay attention to a little thing called shade. So, rehauling the landscaping is a sometimes-pricey yet satisfying stage-by-stage project I've taken on.
Until the recent, record-breaking heat wave, I've done O.K. My tip to others looking to brighten their outdoor living spaces are prevention-based but also work for when you've really screwed up: root stimulator and triple action sprays. Root stimulator for when you freak out knowing that your recent purchase of $145 is literally about to turn into a stick sculpture mocking you from its shriveled height (where a previously garden-center-perky, perfect specimen was), and triple action sprays for when you know something is killing your soft-wood tree slowly, and, thanks to the aid of "Gardening for Dummies" (yes, "Gardening for Dummies!") and amateur sleuthing, you accurately diagnose some unseen monster – like spider mites.
Oh, and there's mulch. Mulch can literally transform your forest-floor-shabby beds in no time, and it's dirt cheap for the effect. It also cuts down on weeds (and the labor associated with them!). I recommend about six bags to start, even if you have a small lawn with a few beds.
Now if I could only master that whole watering thing...
August 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment